Your Guide to Inheritance Tax & Estate Planning
"For some people, the purpose of working hard and building up an estate is to pass it on to the next generations, giving them a financial push start that will hopefully allow them to fulfil their dreams and lead a better quality of life; free from some of the struggles and worries that they themselves had to overcome. It’s often about knowing that they have given their loved ones the best possible chance of succeeding.
It therefore comes as a shock for many of them that they may have to pay a substantial portion of that estate to HMRC upon their death. This is a bitter pill to swallow, especially when they have diligently paid their taxes every single year of their adult working life."
This guide covers the following topics:
- What is Inheritance Tax?
- Who Pays the Inheritance Tax?
- What is the Nil Rate Band?
- What is the Residential Nil Rate Band?
- Estate planning tools
- Why should I make a will?
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Exemptions & reliefs
- Gifts to reduce your IHT liability
- Types of trust arrangements
- Purpose built trusts
- Business Property Relief Qualifying Investments
- Whole of Life Insurance
- Step by step estate planning & IHT mitigation